Thursday, August 2, 2012

ImagiNation: Boom!

After finishing up another batch of figures for my ImagiNation project, I decided to switch gears slightly and start working on some terrain and other gaming items.  First of the painting desk is the prototype for some explosion markers.

Like some wargamers, I have a penchante to add lots of theatrics to my games and terrain.  While effectively useless other then looking cool, explosion markers add just that little "je ne sais quoi?" to a table that attracts the eye.

I'm not 100% satisfied with how it turned out and I learned some valuable lessons.  I most definitely need to spray them down with watered down PVC glue to harden them and make it easier to paint.

I started off with 50mm lazer cut wooden bases, fixed cut pieces of sprues with some modeling clay and then glued on Woodland Scenics clump-foliage.  Now here is where I should have sprayed the whole marker down in PVC glue, but I skipped it to just hit it with black paint.  A quick dry-brushing and some fire painted in and bobs your uncle.


Does not look all that bad in photo.  On the next run of these markers I'm going to have to beef up the bottom section as its a little bit sparse.


Next to a 28mm Crusader figure for scale.  I might look a little small, but its the angle and these markers are built to represent a 3pdr.  I understand that historically the canon balls were solid shot during this period, but this is ImagiNation, so I can do what I want!

1 comment:

  1. A good idea and neatly executed, I have added your blog to my iNation blog list hope you dont mind?

    http://paintpig-hessecassoulet.blogspot.com.au/

    regards
    dave

    ReplyDelete